Delta Marsh History Initiative, Steering Committee Meeting

9:00 am, 21 February 2005
Home of Shirley Christianson, Portage la Prairie

Present:     Barry Bills, Shirley Christianson, Denzil Gamble, Gordon Goldsborough (sec), Heidi den Haan, Bob Jones, Winnie Pauch, Glen Suggett

1.  Minutes of the last meeting (17 January) were approved by consensus.

2.  Business

a)    Bob Johnson – Still no response.

b)   Terry Atkinson slides – The slides have been sent back to Mr. Atkinson with thanks. Suggett has exchanged email subsequently, looking for additional details on the Clark Gable visit.

c)    Writing – Suggett has been pulling together all the information using a room at the Delta Marsh Field Station. He has written a draft of the book introduction, and is now starting on the “Shooter” section. He watched the Blanchard interview tapes and has some follow-up questions that he will put to Maurice.

d)   Womens’ history – Doreen Dow provided some written notes. den Haan will give audio and video tapes made at the meeting to Bills for safekeeping. Pauch and den Haan will write a short summary. den Haan will give photo scans made that day to Bills on a CD.

e)    Rutherford slides – The slides were returned via Christianson, who will carry out a follow-up interview.

f)    Fish fry – The building at Delta has been confirmed for Canada Day, with the usual terms of a reciprocal loan of a tent to the Delta Waterfowl Station by the Delta Marsh Field Station. Maurice Blanchard is confirmed to supply the food. Vust will donate pillow shams, not a quilt as previously reported. A silent auction will be held instead of a raffle. We should start collecting items for it. Andy Rutherford will be asked for a donation of ice cream.

g)   Cruzille album – Dr. McKenzie’s sister in Winnipeg has some original photographs which she is willing to allow us to copy. Goldsborough will contact her to arrange it.

h)   Elder’s meeting – Pauch has prepared a list of possible questions, including some on their wartime experiences. It will be held on Monday, 21 March at 1:30 PM in Mallard Lodge. Christianson will phone to invite them and offer a ride, if needed. Suggett will be there. den Haan will send the Pauch questions to Goldsborough.

i)     Tin Town survey – There has not been a response from Mr. Johnson yet, but we will invite him to the meeting on 21 March.

j)     Farmer meeting – Pauch has prepared some different questions for this group regarding the Portage Diversion (its effects, their work in its construction, etc.) that she has sent to den Haan. Is was scheduled for Monday, 4 April at 1:00 PM in Mallard Lodge. Lunch will be provided at noon. Possible invitees were listed: Tony Peters, Brian Dahling, Monty Simpson, Barry Dawson, Jack Love, Harold Christianson, Jim Knight, Toby Trimble, John Scatfield, Alec Robertson, and Norman Cuthbert. Christianson will phone to make invitations.

k)   Fishermen’s meeting – A meeting was scheduled for Monday, 4 April at 9:30 AM after which lunch will be provided. Possible invitees were listed: Bill Hutchinson, George Tomalin, Bob Pragnall, Don Poschenrieder, Maurice Blanchard, Ron Garnham, and Alf Lavallee. Pauch will phone to make invitations.

3.  Next meeting: The next meeting will be held at the home of Shirley Christianson (118 Wilkinson Crescent, Portage la Prairie) at 9:00 am on Monday, 21 March 2005.

4.  Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 AM.